Pronunciation: (chärt), [key]
1. a sheet exhibiting information in tabular form.
2. a graphic representation, as by curves, of a dependent variable, as temperature, price, etc.; graph.
3. a map, esp. a hydrographic or marine map.
4. an outline map showing special conditions or facts: a weather chart.
5. Astrol.horoscope (def. 1).
6. Jazz.a musical arrangement.
7. the charts,ratings of the popularity of popular-music records, usually based on nationwide sales for a given week: Their album is number three on the charts this week.
1. to make a chart of.
2. to plan: to chart a course of action.
3. Informal.to rank in the charts: The new song gets charted number four this week.
(in prescriptions) a paper.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.