Pronunciation: (chas'ē, -is, shas'ē), [key]
—pl. chas•sisPronunciation: (chas'ēz, shas'-). [key]
1. Auto.the frame, wheels, and machinery of a motor vehicle, on which the body is supported.
2. Ordn.the frame or railway on which a gun carriage moves backward and forward.
3. the main landing gear of an aircraft; that portion of the landing gear that supports an aircraft.
4. Radio and Television.a frame for mounting the circuit components of a radio or television set.
5. a construction forming the sides, top, and bottom of a cabinet, showcase, or the like.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.