Pronunciation: (cher'ē), [key]
—n., pl. -ries,
1. the fruit of any of various trees belonging to the genus Prunus, of the rose family, consisting of a pulpy, globular drupe enclosing a one-seeded smooth stone.
2. the tree bearing such a fruit.
3. the wood of such a tree.
4. any of various fruits or plants resembling the cherry.
5. bright red; cerise.
6. Slang (often vulgar).
a. the hymen.
b. the state of virginity.
a. something new or unused.
b. a novice.
8. Underworld Slang.a first offender.
9. Bowling.the striking down of only the forward pin or pins in attempting to make a spare.
1. bright-red; cerise.
2. (of food and beverages) made with or containing cherries or cherrylike flavoring: cherry pie; cherry soda.
3. (of furniture, woodwork, etc.) made of or covered or decorated with wood from the cherry tree.
4. Slang (often vulgar). being a virgin.
a. new or unused: a three-year-old car in cherry condition.
b. inexperienced; being an innocent novice.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.