Pronunciation: (chest), [key]
1. Anat.the trunk of the body from the neck to the abdomen; thorax.
2. a box, usually with a lid, for storage, safekeeping of valuables, etc.: a toy chest; a jewelry chest.
3. the place where the funds of a public institution or charitable organization are kept; treasury; coffer.
4. the funds themselves.
5. a box in which certain goods, as tea, are packed for transit.
6. the quantity contained in such a box: a chest of spices.
7. See chest of drawers.
8. a small cabinet, esp. one hung on a wall, for storage, as of toiletries and medicines: a medicine chest.
9. get (something) off one's chest, Informal.to relieve oneself of (problems, troubling thoughts, etc.) by revealing them to someone.
10. play it close to the chest. See vest (def. 8).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.