Pronunciation: (krōm), [key]
—n., v., chromed, chrom•ing.
2. chromium-plated or other bright metallic trim, as on an automobile.
3. (of dyeing) the dichromate of potassium or sodium.
4. Photog.a positive color transparency; kodachrome.
1. (of dyeing) to subject to a bath of dichromate of potassium or sodium.
2. to plate (metal) with a compound of chromium.
3. to treat or tan (a hide or leather) with a chromium compound.
var. of chrom- as the final element of a compound word: polychrome.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.