Pronunciation: (sī'fur), [key]
2. any of the Arabic numerals or figures.
3. Arabic numerical notation collectively.
4. something of no value or importance.
5. a person of no influence; nonentity.
6. a secret method of writing, as by transposition or substitution of letters, specially formed symbols, or the like. Cf. cryptography.
7. writing done by such a method; a coded message.
8. the key to a secret method of writing.
9. a combination of letters, as the initials of a name, in one design; monogram.
1. to use figures or numerals arithmetically.
2. to write in or as in cipher.
1. to calculate numerically; figure.
2. to convert into cipher. Also, esp. Brit.,cypher.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.