Pronunciation: (sit'ē), [key]
1. a large or important town.
2. (in the U.S.) an incorporated municipality, usually governed by a mayor and a board of aldermen or councilmen.
3. the inhabitants of a city collectively: The entire city is mourning his death.
4. (in Canada) a municipality of high rank, usually based on population.
5. (in Great Britain) a borough, usually the seat of a bishop, upon which the dignity of the title has been conferred by the crown.
6. the City,
a. the major metropolitan center of a region; downtown: I'm going to the City to buy clothes and see a show.
b. the commercial and financial area of London, England.
7. a city-state.
8. (often cap.) Slang.a place, person, or situation having certain features or characteristics (used in combination): The party last night was Action City. That guy is dull city.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.