Pronunciation: (siv'ul), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or consisting of citizens: civil life; civil society.
2. of the commonwealth or state: civil affairs.
3. of citizens in their ordinary capacity, or of the ordinary life and affairs of citizens, as distinguished from military and ecclesiastical life and affairs.
4. of the citizen as an individual: civil liberty.
5. befitting a citizen: a civil duty.
6. of, or in a condition of, social order or organized government; civilized: civil peoples.
7. adhering to the norms of polite social intercourse; not deficient in common courtesy: After their disagreement, their relations were civil though not cordial.
8. marked by benevolence: He was a very civil sort, and we liked him immediately.
9. (of divisions of time) legally recognized in the ordinary affairs of life: the civil year.
10. of or pertaining to civil law.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.