Pronunciation: (klärk), [key]
1. Alvan, 1804–87, and his son Alvan Graham, 1832–97, U.S. astronomers and telescope-lens manufacturers.
2. Champ Pronunciation: (champ), [key] (James Beauchamp), 1850–1921, U.S. political leader: Speaker of the House 1911–19.
3. (Charles) Joseph (Joe), born 1939, Canadian political leader: prime minister 1979–80.
4. George Rogers, 1752–1818, U.S. soldier.
5. John Bates Pronunciation: (bāts), [key] 1847–1938, U.S. economist and educator.
6. Kenneth B(ancroft), 1914-2005, U.S. psychologist and educator, born in the Panama Canal Zone.
7. Mark Wayne, 1896–1984, U.S. general.
8. Thomas Campbell (Tom), 1899–1977, associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1949–67.
9. Walter Van Til•burg Pronunciation: (van til'burg), [key] 1909–71, U.S. author.
10. William, 1770–1838, U.S. soldier and explorer (brother of George R. Clark): on expedition with Meriwether Lewis 1804–06.
11. a male given name: a surname, ultimately derived from clerk.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.