Pronunciation: (klī'unt), [key]
1. a person or group that uses the professional advice or services of a lawyer, accountant, advertising agency, architect, etc.
2. a person who is receiving the benefits, services, etc., of a social welfare agency, a government bureau, etc.
3. a customer.
4. anyone under the patronage of another; a dependent.
5. Computers.a workstation on a network that gains access to central data files, programs, and peripheral devices through a server.
6. See client state.
7. (in ancient Rome) a plebeian who lived under the patronage of a patrician.
1. being a regular customer: a client company.
2. economically, and often militarily, dependent upon a more prosperous, more powerful nation.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.