Pronunciation: (kôrs, kōrs), [key]
—adj., coars•er, coars•est.
1. composed of relatively large parts or particles: The beach had rough, coarse sand.
2. lacking in fineness or delicacy of texture, structure, etc.: The stiff, coarse fabric irritated her skin.
3. harsh; grating.
4. lacking delicacy, taste, or refinement; unpolished: He had coarse manners but an absolutely first-rate mind.
5. of inferior or faulty quality; common; base.
6. vulgar; obscene; crude: His coarse language angered us.
7. (of metals) unrefined.
8. (of a metal file) having the maximum commercial grade of coarseness.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.