Pronunciation: (koks'kōm"), [key]
1. the comb or caruncle of a cock.
2. the cap, resembling a cock's comb, formerly worn by professional fools.
3. a garden plant, Celosia cristata, of the amaranth family, with flowers, commonly crimson or purple, in a broad spike somewhat resembling the comb of a cock.
4. any of several other species of the genus Celosia.
5. an elongate prickleback, Anoplarchus purpurescens, living among submerged rocks along the Pacific coast of North America.
6. a gaslight burner having four or more jets.
7. coxcomb (def. 1).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.