Pronunciation: (kô'fē, kof'ē), [key]
1. a beverage consisting of a decoction or infusion of the roasted ground or crushed seeds (cof'fee beans") of the two-seeded fruit (cof'fee ber"ry) of certain coffee trees.
2. the seeds or fruit themselves.
3. any tropical tree or shrub of the genus Coffea, of the madder family, esp. C. arabica and C. canephora, cultivated commercially. Cf. Arabian coffee, robusta coffee.
4. a cup of coffee: We ordered four coffees and three doughnuts.
5. a social gathering at which coffee and other refreshments are served.
6. medium to dark brown.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.