Pronunciation: (kô'fur, kof'ur), [key]
1. a box or chest, esp. one for valuables.
2. coffers,a treasury; funds: The coffers of the organization were rapidly filled by the contributions.
3. any of various boxlike enclosures, as a cofferdam.
4. Also called caisson, lacunar. Archit.one of a number of sunken panels, usually square or octagonal, in a vault, ceiling, or soffit.
1. to deposit or lay up in or as in a coffer or chest.
2. to ornament with coffers or sunken panels.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.