Pronunciation: (koif), [key]
1. a hood-shaped cap, usually of white cloth and with extended sides, worn beneath a veil, as by nuns.
2. any of various hoodlike caps, varying through the centuries in shape and purpose, worn by men and women.
3. a cap similar to a skullcap, formerly worn by sergeants at law.
4. Armor.a covering for the head and neck, made of leather, padded cloth, or mail.
5. Brit.the rank or position of a sergeant at law.
to cover or dress with or as with a coif.
Pronunciation: (kwäf, koif), [key]
coiffure (defs. 1, 3). Also,coiffe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.