Pronunciation: (ku-lek'tur), [key]
1. a person or thing that collects.
2. a person employed to collect debts, duties, taxes, etc.
3. a person who collects books, paintings, stamps, shells, etc., esp. as a hobby.
4. Elect.a device for accumulating current from contact conductors.
5. Electronics.an electrode in a transistor or vacuum tube for collecting electrons, ions, or holes.
6. Metall.promoter (def. 5).
7. Energy.See solar collector.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.