Pronunciation: (kom"bu-nā'shun), [key]
1. the act of combining or the state of being combined.
2. a number of things combined: a combination of ideas.
3. something formed by combining: A chord is a combination of notes.
4. an alliance of persons or parties: a combination in restraint of trade.
5. the set or series of numbers or letters used in setting the mechanism of a combination lock.
6. the parts of the mechanism operated by this.
7. Often, combinations. a suit of underwear in one piece.
a. the arrangement of elements into various groups without regard to their order in the group.
b. a group thus formed. Cf. permutation (def. 1).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.