Pronunciation: (kom'i-dē), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/comedy.html on line 73 [key]
1. a play, movie, etc., of light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion.
2. that branch of the drama which concerns itself with this form of composition.
3. the comic element of drama, of literature generally, or of life.
4. any literary composition dealing with a theme suitable for comedy, or employing the methods of comedy.
5. any comic or humorous incident or series of incidents.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.