Pronunciation: (ku-man'ding, -män'-), [key]
1. being in command: a commanding officer.
2. appreciably superior or imposing; winning; sizable: a commanding position; a commanding lead in the final period.
3. having the air, tone, etc., of command; imposing; authoritative: a man of commanding appearance; a commanding voice.
4. dominating by position, usually elevation; overlooking: a commanding bluff at the mouth of the river.
5. (of a view, or prospect) provided by a commanding location and so permitting dominance: a commanding view of the mouth of the river.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.