Pronunciation: (kom'ent), [key]
1. a remark, observation, or criticism: a comment about the weather.
2. gossip; talk: His frequent absences gave rise to comment.
3. a criticism or interpretation, often by implication or suggestion: The play is a comment on modern society.
4. a note in explanation, expansion, or criticism of a passage in a book, article, or the like; annotation.
5. explanatory or critical matter added to a text.
6. Also called rheme. Ling.the part of a sentence that communicates new information about the topic. Cf. topic (def. 4).
1. to make remarks, observations, or criticisms: He refused to comment on the decision of the court.
2. to write explanatory or critical notes upon a text.
to make comments or remarks on; furnish with comments; annotate.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.