Pronunciation: (kum-pat'u-bul), [key]
1. capable of existing or living together in harmony: the most compatible married couple I know.
2. able to exist together with something else: Prejudice is not compatible with true religion.
3. consistent; congruous (often fol. by with): His claims are not compatible with the facts.
a. (of software) capable of being run on another computer without change.
b. (of hardware) capable of being connected to another device without the use of special equipment or software.
5. Electronics.(of a device, signal, etc.) capable of being used with equipment in a system without the need for special modification or conversion.
6. noting a system of television in which color broadcasts can be received on ordinary sets in black and white.
something, as a machine or piece of electronic equipment, that is designed to perform the same tasks as another, often in the same way and using virtually identical parts, programmed instructions, etc.: Software written for one computer will probably run on its close compatibles.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.