1. an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration: A sincere compliment boosts one's morale.
2. a formal act or expression of civility, respect, or regard: The mayor paid him the compliment of escorting him.
3. compliments,a courteous greeting; good wishes; regards: He sends you his compliments.
4. Archaic.a gift; present.
1. to pay a compliment to: She complimented the child on his good behavior.
2. to show kindness or regard for by a gift or other favor: He complimented us by giving a party in our honor.
3. to congratulate; felicitate: to compliment a prince on the birth of a son.
to pay compliments.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.