Pronunciation: (kom"pri-hen'siv), [key]
1. of large scope; covering or involving much; inclusive: a comprehensive study of world affairs.
2. comprehending mentally; having an extensive mental range or grasp.
3. Insurance.covering or providing broad protection against loss.
1. Often, comprehensives. Also called comprehen'sive examina"tion. an examination of extensive coverage given to measure a student's general progress, proficiency in his or her major field of study, or the like.
2. the detailed layout of an advertisement, showing placement of photographs, illustrations, copy, etc., as for presentation to a client. Cf. visual (def. 7).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.