Pronunciation: (kon"sun-trā'shun), [key]
1. the act of concentrating; the state of being concentrated.
2. exclusive attention to one object; close mental application.
3. something concentrated: a concentration of stars.
a. the assembling of military or naval forces in a particular area in preparation for further operations.
b. a specified intensity and duration of artillery fire placed on a small area.
5. the focusing of a student's academic program on advanced study in a specific subject or field.
6. Chem.(in a solution) a measure of the amount of dissolved substance contained per unit of volume.
7. Also called memory. Cards.a game in which all 52 cards are spread out face down on the table and each player in turn exposes two cards at a time and replaces them face down if they do not constitute a pair, the object being to take the most pairs by remembering the location of the cards previously exposed.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.