Pronunciation: (kun-sep'shun), [key]
1. the act of conceiving; the state of being conceived.
2. fertilization; inception of pregnancy.
3. a notion; idea; concept: She has some odd conceptions about life.
4. something that is conceived: That machine is the conception of a genius.
5. origination; beginning: The organization has been beset by problems from its conception.
6. a design; plan.
7. a sketch of something not actually existing: an artist's conception of ancient Athens.
8. the act or power of forming notions, ideas, or concepts.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.