Pronunciation: (kongk, konch), [key]
—pl. conchsPronunciation: (kongks), [key] con•chesPronunciation: (kon'chiz). [key]
1. the spiral shell of a gastropod, often used as a horn.
2. any of various marine gastropods.
3. the fabled shell trumpet of the Tritons.
4. (often cap.) Slang (sometimes disparaging).
a. a native or inhabitant of the Florida Keys.
b. a Bahamian.
5. Also,concha. Archit.a smooth concave surface consisting of or resembling the interior of a semidome, as the surface of a vault, a trompe, or the head of a niche.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.