Pronunciation: (kun-dem'), [key]
1. to express an unfavorable or adverse judgment on; indicate strong disapproval of; censure.
2. to pronounce to be guilty; sentence to punishment: to condemn a murderer to life imprisonment.
3. to give grounds or reason for convicting or censuring: His acts condemn him.
4. to judge or pronounce to be unfit for use or service: to condemn an old building.
5. U.S. Law.to acquire ownership of for a public purpose, under the right of eminent domain: The city condemned the property.
6. to force into a specific state or activity: His lack of education condemned him to a life of menial jobs.
7. to declare incurable.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.