Pronunciation: (kun-fesh'un), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/confession.html on line 75 [key]
1. acknowledgment; avowal; admission: a confession of incompetence.
2. acknowledgment or disclosure of sin or sinfulness, esp. to a priest to obtain absolution.
3. something that is confessed.
4. a formal, usually written, acknowledgment of guilt by a person accused of a crime.
5. Also called confession of faith. a formal profession of belief and acceptance of doctrines, as before being admitted to church membership.
6. the tomb of a martyr or confessor or the altar or shrine connected with it.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.