Pronunciation: (kun-fyOO'zhun), [key]
1. the act of confusing.
2. the state of being confused.
3. disorder; upheaval; tumult; chaos: The army retreated in confusion.
4. lack of clearness or distinctness: a confusion in his mind between right and wrong.
5. perplexity; bewilderment: The more difficult questions left us in complete confusion.
6. embarrassment or abashment: He blushed in confusion.
7. Psychiatry.a disturbed mental state; disorientation.
8. Archaic.defeat, overthrow, or ruin.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.