Pronunciation: (kon'shus), [key]
1. aware of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.
2. fully aware of or sensitive to something (often fol. by of): conscious of one's own faults; He wasn't conscious of the gossip about his past.
3. having the mental faculties fully active: He was conscious during the operation.
4. known to oneself; felt: conscious guilt.
5. aware of what one is doing: a conscious liar.
6. aware of oneself; self-conscious.
7. deliberate; intentional: a conscious insult; a conscious effort.
8. acutely aware of or concerned about: money-conscious; a diet-conscious society.
9. Obs.inwardly sensible of wrongdoing.
the conscious, Psychoanal.the part of the mind comprising psychic material of which the individual is aware.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.