Pronunciation: (kon'si-krāt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/consecrate.html on line 81 [key]
—v., -crat•ed, -crat•ing,
1. to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity: to consecrate a new church building.
2. to make (something) an object of honor or veneration; hallow: a custom consecrated by time.
3. to devote or dedicate to some purpose: a life consecrated to science.
4. to admit or ordain to a sacred office, esp. to the episcopate.
5. to change (bread and wine) into the Eucharist.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.