Pronunciation: (kon"sur-vā'shun), [key]
1. the act of conserving; prevention of injury, decay, waste, or loss; preservation: conservation of wildlife; conservation of human rights.
2. official supervision of rivers, forests, and other natural resources in order to preserve and protect them through prudent management.
3. a district, river, forest, etc., under such supervision.
4. the careful utilization of a natural resource in order to prevent depletion.
5. the restoration and preservation of works of art.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.