Pronunciation: (kun-sol"i-dā'shun), [key]
1. an act or instance of consolidating; the state of being consolidated; unification: consolidation of companies.
2. solidification; strengthening: consolidation of principles and beliefs.
3. something that is or has been consolidated; a consolidated whole.
a. a statutory combination of two or more corporations.
b. the union of two or more claims or actions at law for trial or appeal.
5. (cap.) a steam locomotive having a two-wheeled front truck, eight driving wheels, and no rear truck. See table under Whyte classification.
6. Pathol.the process of becoming solid, as changing of lung tissue from aerated and elastic to firm in certain diseases.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.