Pronunciation: (kun-stich'OO-unt), [key]
1. serving to compose or make up a thing; component: the constituent parts of a motor.
2. having power to frame or alter a political constitution or fundamental law, as distinguished from lawmaking power: a constituent assembly.
1. a constituent element, material, etc.; component.
2. a person who authorizes another to act in his or her behalf, as a voter in a district represented by an elected official.
3. Gram.an element considered as part of a construction. Cf. immediate constituent, ultimate constituent.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.