Pronunciation: (kon'sti-tOOt", -tyOOt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/constitute.html on line 79 [key]
—v.t., -tut•ed, -tut•ing.
1. to compose; form: mortar constituted of lime and sand.
2. to appoint to an office or function; make or create: He was constituted treasurer.
3. to establish (laws, an institution, etc.).
4. to give legal form to (an assembly, court, etc.).
5. to create or be tantamount to: Imports constitute a challenge to local goods.
6. Archaic.to set or place.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.