Pronunciation: (kun-tem'pu-rer"ē), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -rar•ies.
1. existing, occurring, or living at the same time; belonging to the same time: Newton's discovery of the calculus was contemporary with that of Leibniz.
2. of about the same age or date: a Georgian table with a contemporary wig stand.
3. of the present time; modern: a lecture on the contemporary novel.
1. a person belonging to the same time or period with another or others.
2. a person of the same age as another.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.