1. a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals, as for a prize.
2. struggle for victory or superiority.
3. strife in argument; dispute; controversy: Their marriage was marred by perpetual contest.
1. to struggle or fight for, as in battle.
2. to argue against; dispute: to contest a controversial question; to contest a will.
3. to call in question: They contested his right to speak.
4. to contend for in rivalry.
to dispute; contend; compete.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.