Pronunciation: (kon'tn-unt), [key]
1. one of the main landmasses of the globe, usually reckoned as seven in number (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica).
2. a comparable landmass on another planet.
3. the mainland, as distinguished from islands or peninsulas.
4. the Continent,the mainland of Europe, as distinguished from the British Isles.
5. a continuous tract or extent, as of land.
6. Archaic.something that serves as a container or boundary.
1. exercising or characterized by restraint in relation to the desires or passions and esp. to sexual desires; temperate.
2. able to control urinary and fecal discharge.
3. Obs.containing; being a container; capacious.
4. Obs.restraining or restrictive.
5. Obs.continuous; forming an uninterrupted tract, as land.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.