Pronunciation: (kon"tn-en'tl), [key]
1. of or of the nature of a continent.
2. (usually cap.) of or pertaining to the mainland of Europe, to Europeans, or to European customs and attitudes.
3. (cap.) of or pertaining to the 13 original American colonies during and immediately after the American Revolution.
4. of or pertaining to the continent of North America.
1. (cap.) a soldier of the Continental Army in the American Revolution.
2. a piece of paper currency issued by the Continental Congress during the American Revolution.
3. a small amount: advice that's not worth a continental.
4. an inhabitant of a continent.
5. (usually cap.) an inhabitant of the mainland of Europe.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.