Pronunciation: (kun-trib'yOOt), [key]
—v., -ut•ed, -ut•ing.
1. to give (money, time, knowledge, assistance, etc.) to a common supply, fund, etc., as for charitable purposes.
2. to furnish (an original written work, drawing, etc.) for publication: to contribute stories to a magazine.
1. to give (money, food, etc.) to a common supply, fund, etc.: He contributes to many charities.
2. to furnish works for publication: He contributed to many magazines.
3. contribute to, to be an important factor in; help to cause: A sudden downpour contributed to the traffic jam.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.