Pronunciation: (kun-trō'lur), [key]
1. an employee, often an officer, of a business firm who checks expenditures, finances, etc.; comptroller.
2. a person who regulates, directs, or restrains.
3. Brit. Aeron.a dispatcher.
4. a regulating mechanism; governor.
5. Also called control unit, processor. Computers.the key component of a peripheral device, as a terminal, printer, or external storage unit, that contains the circuitry necessary to interpret and execute instructions fed into the device.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.