Pronunciation: (kun-ven'shu-nl), [key]
1. conforming or adhering to accepted standards, as of conduct or taste: conventional behavior.
2. pertaining to convention or general agreement; established by general consent or accepted usage; arbitrarily determined: conventional symbols.
3. ordinary rather than different or original: conventional phraseology.
4. not using, making, or involving nuclear weapons or energy; nonnuclear: conventional warfare.
a. in accordance with an accepted manner, model, or tradition.
b. (of figurative art) represented in a generalized or simplified manner.
6. of or pertaining to a convention, agreement, or compact.
7. Law.resting on consent, express or implied.
8. of or pertaining to a convention or assembly.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.