Pronunciation: (kOO'lur), [key]
1. a container or apparatus, as an insulated chest, in which something may be cooled or kept cool.
2. anything that cools or makes cool; refrigerant.
3. an air conditioner.
4. a tall drink, consisting of liquor, soda, and a fruit garnish.
5. See water cooler.
6. the cooler, Slang.jail: He was in the cooler for three months for petty theft.
7. Ice Hockey Slang.See penalty box.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.