Pronunciation: (kō-op"u-rā'shun), [key]
1. an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit; joint action.
2. more or less active assistance from a person, organization, etc.: We sought the cooperation of various civic leaders.
3. willingness to cooperate: to indicate cooperation.
4. Econ.the combination of persons for purposes of production, purchase, or distribution for their joint benefit: producers' cooperation; consumers' cooperation.
5. Sociol.activity shared for mutual benefit.
6. Ecol.mutually beneficial interaction among organisms living in a limited area. Also,co-op"er•a'tion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.