Pronunciation: (kôr'inth, kor'-), [key]
1. an ancient city in Greece, on the Isthmus of Corinth: one of the wealthiest and most powerful of the ancient Greek cities.
2. a port in the NE Peloponnesus, in S Greece: NE of the site of ancient Corinth.
3. Gulf of. Also called Gulf of Lepanto. an arm of the Ionian Sea, N of the Peloponnesus.
4. Isthmus of, an isthmus at the head of the Gulf of Corinth, connecting the Peloponnesus with central Greece: traversed by a ship canal.
5. a city in NE Mississippi. 13,839.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.