Pronunciation: (kôr-net' for 1; kôr'nit, kôr-net' for 2–8), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/cornet.html on line 75 [key]
1. Music.a valved wind instrument of the trumpet family.
2. a small cone of paper twisted at the end and used for holding candy, nuts, etc.
3. a pastry cone, usually filled with whipped cream.
4. Brit.a conical wafer, as for ice cream; cone.
5. a large, white, winged headdress formerly worn by the members of the Sisters of Charity.
6. a woman's headdress, often cone-shaped, usually of delicate fabrics and having lappets of lace or other material, worn by women from the 14th to the 18th century.
7. a pennant or flag used for signaling in a navy.
8. (formerly) the officer who carried the colors in a troop of cavalry: the cornet of horse.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.