Pronunciation: (kôr'pus), [key]
—pl. -po•raPronunciation: (-pur-u) [key] for 1–3, 5, -pus•es for 4.
1. a large or complete collection of writings: the entire corpus of Old English poetry.
2. the body of a person or animal, esp. when dead.
3. Anat.a body, mass, or part having a special character or function.
4. Ling.a body of utterances, as words or sentences, assumed to be representative of and used for lexical, grammatical, or other linguistic analysis.
5. a principal or capital sum, as opposed to interest or income.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.