Pronunciation: (koun'sul), [key]
1. an assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation, or advice.
2. a body of persons specially designated or selected to act in an advisory, administrative, or legislative capacity: the governor's council on housing.
3. (in certain British colonies or dependencies) an executive or legislative body assisting the governor.
4. an ecclesiastical assembly for deciding matters of doctrine or discipline.
5. New Testament.the Sanhedrin or other authoritative body.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.