Pronunciation: (koun'su-lur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/counselor.html on line 79 [key]
1. a person who counsels; adviser.
2. a faculty member who advises students on personal and academic problems, career choices, and the like.
3. an assistant at a children's camp, often a high-school or college student, who supervises a group of children or directs a particular activity, as nature study or a sport.
4. a lawyer, esp. a trial lawyer; counselor-at-law.
5. an official of an embassy or legation who ranks below an ambassador or minister. Also, esp. Brit.,coun'sel•lor.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.