Pronunciation: (koun'tn-uns), [key]
—n., v., -nanced, -nanc•ing.
1. appearance, esp. the look or expression of the face: a sad countenance.
2. the face; visage.
3. calm facial expression; composure.
4. approval or favor; encouragement; moral support.
5. Obs.bearing; behavior.
6. out of countenance, visibly disconcerted; abashed: He was somewhat out of countenance at the prospect of an apology.
1. to permit or tolerate: You should not have countenanced his rudeness.
2. to approve, support, or encourage.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.